DSpace news

Syndicate content
Updated: 3 hours 51 min ago

Fedora and Samvera Camp in Berlin: Early Bird Discount until 9/14/18

Thu, 16/08/2018 - 17:54

Register before September 14th to receive a $50 discount!

DuraSpace and Data Curation Experts invite you to attend Fedora and Samvera Camp at the Berlin State Library November 5 – 8, 2018.Fedora is the robust, modular, open source repository platform for the management and dissemination of digital content. The latest version of Fedora features vast improvements in scalability, linked data capabilities, research data support, modularity, ease of use and more.

Samvera (previously known as Hydra) is a grass-roots, open source community creating best in class digital asset management solutions for Libraries, Archives, Museums and others.  The Samvera software offers flexible and rich user interfaces tailored to distinct content types on top of a robust back end – giving adopters the best of both worlds.

Training will begin with the basics and build toward more advanced concepts – no prior Fedora or Samvera experience is required. Participants can expect to come away with a deep dive Fedora and Samvera learning experience coupled with multiple opportunities for applying hands-on techniques working with experienced trainers from both communities.

Previous Fedora Camps and Samvera Camps (previously known as Hydra Camps) have been held throughout the United States, United Kingdom and in the Republic of Ireland.  Most recently, DCE hosted the inaugural Advanced Samvera (Hydra) Camp focusing on advanced Samvera developer skills.

The upcoming combined camp curriculum will provide a comprehensive overview of Fedora and Samvera by exploring such topics as:

  • Core & Integrated features
  • Data modeling and linked data
  • Content and Metadata management
  • Migrating to Fedora 4.x
  • Deploying Fedora and Samvera in production
  • Ruby, Rails, and collaborative development using Github
  • Introductory Blacklight including search and faceting
  • Preservation Services

The curriculum will be delivered by a knowledgeable team of instructors from the Fedora and Samvera communities: Tom Johnson (DCE), Bess Sadler (DCE), Andrew Woods (DuraSpace), and David Wilcox (DuraSpace)

Attendance is limited to the first 30 registrants.  DuraSpace Members and Registered Service Providers receive a discounted rate.  Register before September 14th to receive a $50 discount!

Register Now!

The post Fedora and Samvera Camp in Berlin: Early Bird Discount until 9/14/18 appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Registration Open for VIVO Camp in New York City

Tue, 07/08/2018 - 22:39

From Violeta Ilik, VIVO Leadership Group, on behalf of the VIVO Camp instructors

VIVO Camp is a multi-day training event designed specifically for new and prospective users. Camp will be held October 18-20, 2018 in the Butler Library at Columbia University. Over two and a half days, VIVOCamp will start with an introduction to VIVO leading to a comprehensive overview by exploring these topics:

• VIVO features
• Examples and demos of VIVO including customizations
• Representing scholarship
• Loading, displaying and using VIVO data
• Introduction to the ontologies
• Managing a VIVO project
• Engaging communities
• Using VIVO resources

Participants can expect to gain a broad understanding of all aspects of implementing VIVO, including scoping and planning, development and data ingest, user engagement and customizations. This event will be an opportunity to meet and consult with key VIVO community members and to benefit from the experience of many successful VIVO implementations. The curriculum will include multiple opportunities to address current challenges. Participants should bring specific questions to VIVO Camp for discussion.

VIVO Camp instructors provide years of experience holding VIVO events, managing VIVO implementations, and participating in the VIVO community.

Violeta Ilik, Head of Digital Collections & Preservation Systems, Columbia University
Huda Khan, VIVO Developer, Cornell University
Benjamin Gross, Clarivate
Mike Conlon, VIVO Project Director, University of Florida

Join us in October to learn about VIVO and consult with this group of VIVO experts. Registration is limited. Please register to reserve your place at VIVO Camp. We will close registration when the event has filled.

See you in New York!

Please visit this LINK to register: https://conta.cc/2v93x4x

The post Registration Open for VIVO Camp in New York City appeared first on Duraspace.org.

DSpace Workshop at CONCYTEC–the Peruvian National Council for Science, Technology and Innovation Conference

Wed, 01/08/2018 - 18:54

From Michele Mennielli, International Membership and Partnership Manager for DuraSpace

On July 18, 2018 CONCYTEC (the Peruvian National Council for Science, Technology and Innovation) hosted the first DSpace workshop in Peru as a pre-conference event during the National Conference on Research Information. The event was most likely the most attended DSpace workshop ever organized, with over 160 attendees present in the room and 120 additional people following the training online.

Together with the DSpace training session delivered by Joan Caparros from CSUC (the Catalan Consortium of Universities), DuraSpace had the opportunity to collaborate with other international organizations to provide a broader view on the future of repositories in general, and specifically on future enhancements to DSpace. Kathleen Shearer, Executive Director of COAR gave a presentation about COAR’s Next Generation Repositories to introduce how DSpace is implementing such recommendations. The afternoon was dedicated to a training on DSpace-CRIS provided by 4Science.

During the two days Conference following the DSpace Workshop, CONCYTEC presented to more than 500 representatives of universities and national institutions from all over Peru, the project of implementing a central research information management system (CRIS) for the country. Speakers from different international organizations such as DuraSpace, euroCRIS, COAR, ORCID, LA Referentia presented their views and activities related to the research information and scholarly ecosystem, discussing about interoperability issues and standards, and presenting best practices from around the world (including presentation from CINECA and the Pontificia Universidad Católica the Chile).

In Peru there are 158 DSpace repository currently running and the event was an important opportunity for DuraSpace to meet with our community of users, to listen to and learn what are their needs and expectations.

At DuraSpace we look forward to keep collaborating with CONCYTEC to support the Peruvian DSpace community and to share their activities and achievements with the rest of the world.

The post DSpace Workshop at CONCYTEC–the Peruvian National Council for Science, Technology and Innovation Conference appeared first on Duraspace.org.

VIVO Camp: Registration Open

Mon, 30/07/2018 - 20:54

VIVO Camp is a multi-day training event designed specifically for new and prospective users. Camp will be held October 18-20, 2018 in the Butler Library at Columbia University.  Over two and a half days, VIVO Camp will start with an introduction to VIVO leading to a comprehensive overview by exploring these topics: 

  • VIVO features
  • Examples and demos of VIVO including customizations
  • Representing scholarship
  • Loading, displaying and using VIVO data
  • Introduction to the ontologies
  • Managing a VIVO project
  • Engaging communities
  • Using VIVO resources
Participants can expect to gain a broad understanding of all aspects of implementing VIVO, including scoping and planning, development and data ingest, user engagement and customizations. This event will be an opportunity to meet and consult with key VIVO community members and to benefit from the experience of many successful VIVO implementations. The curriculum will include multiple opportunities to address current challenges. Participants should bring specific questions to VIVO Camp for discussion.

VIVO Camp instructors provide years of experience holding VIVO events, managing VIVO implementations, and participating in the VIVO community.

  • Violeta Ilik, Head of Digital Collections & Preservation Systems, Columbia University
  • Huda Khan, VIVO Developer, Cornell University
  • Benjamin Gross, Clarivate
  • Mike Conlon, VIVO Project Director, University of Florida

Join us in October to learn about VIVO and consult with this group of VIVO experts. Registration is limited.  Please register to reserve your place at VIVO Camp.  We will close registration when the event has filled.

Register Today!

The post VIVO Camp: Registration Open appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Hyku Update: Samvera Hyku Interest Group; Updates from Service Providers

Mon, 30/07/2018 - 17:44

Service providers, consortia, and institutions interested in Hyku have formalized their collaboration by creating the Samvera Hyku Interest Group. The Hyku Interest Group discusses the Hyku repository application, particularly focusing on keeping its development aligned with Hyrax maturation. Group members are interested in working together to contribute to the maintenance and development of Hyku.

A lightning talk on Hyku was presented at Samvera Virtual Connect 2018. Nick Woodward, Senior Software Engineer, Texas Digital Library, provided updates on the Interest Group formation and the activities of group members. Updates included:
CoSector, a department at the University of London, recently launched an instance of Hyku for The King’s Fund, a small UK health funder. Their work to date has focused on migrating digital objects from EPrints into Hyku, and one product of this work is a json-based importer, which is available on GitHub.
Notch8 is a Ruby on Rails consultancy based in San Diego are currently actively involved in Hyku.
The Texas Digital Library recently conducted a Hyku pilot with three members. The final report will be completed and made available to the public shortly.
Ubiquity Press, an open access publisher of peer-reviewed academic journals, books and data, were awarded a grant to develop a multi-tenant Hyku instance for the British Library. They’re currently working on several issues related to Hyku.

Group members plan to continue to work on migration tooling and developing the Hyku codebase. Institutions interested in Hyku development are welcome to join the Hyku Interest Group monthly call.

The post Hyku Update: Samvera Hyku Interest Group; Updates from Service Providers appeared first on Duraspace.org.

ARKs in the Open: Project Update #7, inaugural meeting of the Advisory Group

Mon, 30/07/2018 - 17:08

The ARKs-in-the-Open Advisory Group (AG) met for the first time July 17, 2018. This is the high-level group that will provide the means for transitioning the ARK infrastructure (specification, NAAN registry) from the California Digital Library (CDL) to a community supported and managed activity. The meeting agenda and notes are available online.

At this inaugural meeting, the AG reviewed and affirmed the project vision, resources and values, and proposed timetable. Members also approved a plan to set up three working groups:

Outreach
Technical
Fundraising

With summer holidays in full swing, populating the working groups is not scheduled to start until late September.

We’re also happy to report that in the 5 months since ARKs-in-the-Open was announced, 38 new organizations have registered to use ARKs. As a reminder, the AG members are:

Sayeed Choudhury (Johns Hopkins University)
Kurt Ewoldsen and John Kunze (California Digital Library)
John Howard (University College Dublin)
Frédérique Joannic-Seta (Bibliothèque nationale de France)
Martin Kalfatovic (Smithsonian Institution Libraries)
Brian McBride (University of Utah)
Mark Phillips (University of North Texas Libraries)
Andrew Treloar (Australian National Data Service)
Kate Wittenberg (Portico)

If you’d like to stay up-to-date on the latest developments in the ARKs-in-the-Open project, please sign up for the ARK mailing list (in English, or the French ARK mailing list), and if you’d like to become involved in the project, please fill out the Expression of Interest form. To register to use ARKs, please fill out the institutional registration form.

The post ARKs in the Open: Project Update #7, inaugural meeting of the Advisory Group appeared first on Duraspace.org.

VIVO Updates July 21, 2018 — grants, jenatools, your content here

Wed, 25/07/2018 - 17:06

Grant opportunities  The VIVO Project is always looking for ways to improve the software, the community, and the ontology.  One way to improve things, or try new things is through grant funding.  Funding agencies often have programs related to metadata, data sharing, tooling, and other topics related to VIVO.  The VIVO Resources Action Planning group is looking to identify grant opportunities that might be appropriate for VIVO.

The group has developed a document describing various initiatives that may be fundable by a grant.  See Grant Opportunities.  Interested?  Have ideas about grants?  Want to help?  Please contact Terrie Wheeler at Weill Cornell Medicine.

jenatools  New with VIVO 1.10 are command line tools jena2tools and jena3tools.  Jen2tools works with Jena 2 VIVO systems (version 1.9.3 and prior).  Jena3tools works with Jena 3 VIVO systems (version 1.10 and whatever comes afterwards).  These tools import and export the configuration and content triple stores of your VIVO system.  Using Jena2tools, you can export your VIVO 1.9.3 or earlier triple stores to “TRiG” format.  Then using Jena3tools, the TriG format can be reloaded into an newly created VIVO 1.10 to upgrade to Jena 3.  TriG format preserves the information regarding the graph the triple came from.  In this way, the graph structure of the upgraded triple store is identical to the previous triple store.

But the jenatools can export to any of the popular RDF serialization formats – RDF/XML, JSON-LD (only supported for Jena 3 export), N-Triples, and Turtle.  Using Jenatools, you can create a complete export of your VIVO, capturing the data for use in any other software, or for posting or sharing with others.

VIVO has always been about sharing data.  With jenatools, your entire triple store can be exported and shared as a single file.

About VIVO Updates  VIVO Updates is an almost weekly newsletter of happenings in the VIVO Community. VIVO Updates is published to our wiki here:  VIVO Updates  where it is searchable using the wiki search.  VIVO Updates is also available on the VIVO Web site here:  VIVO Blog.  The Updates are sent each week to the VIVO Email Lists and tweeted.  Links to VIVO Updates appear in various Duraspace communications including the Member newsletter and Duraspace Digest with several thousand readers.   If you have an idea for VIVO Updates, please drop me a note.  Material received by Saturday can appear on Sunday.

Go VIVO!
Mike
Mike Conlon
VIVO Project Director

The post VIVO Updates July 21, 2018 — grants, jenatools, your content here appeared first on Duraspace.org.

DSpace Anwendertreffen 2018

Thu, 19/07/2018 - 16:38

The DSpace Anwendertreffen 2018 will take place on Thursday, September 13th, 2018 from 10:00 am to 3:30 pm. It is followed by a meeting of members of DSpace Konsortium Deutschland until 4:30 pm. The DSpace Anwendertreffen is organized by the University Library of Technische Universität Berlin and The Library Code GmbH. This meeting is an informal exchange between DSpace users. There will be talks about research data within DSpace, using DSpace to archive Software stored in Gitlab, and other developments around DSpace. As was done last year, Round Tables will be part of the program to discuss topics like DSpace-CRIS, DSpace for newcomers, Workflows in DSpace, and other special interest topics. While the main conference language will be German, some talks will be presented in English.

On Friday, September 14th, 2018 from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm an additional meeting will be organized to discuss DSpace-CRIS.

Both meetings will take place at the University Library of TU Berlin, Volkswagenhaus, Fasanenstr. 88, 10623 Berlin, Germany. Registration is free. To register, please send an email to (anwendertreffen@the-library-code.de) by August 31st, 2018. Please specify in your registration whether you will participate in (1) the DSpace Anwendertreffen 2018 only or (2) both the DSpace Anwendertreffen and the DSpace-CRIS meeting.

(Deutschsprachige Version)

Das DSpace Anwendertreffen 2018 findet am Donnerstag, den 13. September 2018 von 10:00 bis 15:30 Uhr statt. Es wird durch die Universitätsbibliothek der Technischen Universität Berlin und The Library Code GmbH organisiert. Das Programm umfasst Vorträge zu Themen wie Forschungsdaten in DSpace, die Nutzung von DSpace zur Archivierung von Software aus Gitlab und anderen Entwicklungen rund um DSpace. Wie letztes Jahr werden Thementische teil des Programms sein, an denen Themen wir DSpace-CIRS, DSpace für Einsteiger, Workflows in DSpace und andere Anliegen diskutiert werden können. Die Konferenzsprache Deutsch ist, es wird jedoch einzelne Vorträge in Englisch geben.

Am Freitag, den 14. September 2018 wird es von 10:00 bis 13:00 Uhr ein zusätzliches Treffen für den informellen Austausch über DSpace-CRIS geben.

Beide Treffen finden statt in der Universitätsbibliothek der TU Berlin, Volkswagenhaus, Fasanenstr. 88, 10623 Berlin, Deutshland. Es wird keine Teilnehmergebühr erhoben. Melden Sie sich bitte per E-Mail (anwendertreffen@the-library-code.de) bis zum 31. August 2017 an. Bitte teilen Sie uns dabei mit, ob Sie ausschließlich am DSpace Anwendertreffen 2018 oder auch am Treffen zu DSpace-CRIS teilnehmen werden.

The post DSpace Anwendertreffen 2018 appeared first on Duraspace.org.

VIVO Updates July 15 – Leadership Group, Internationalization, Version 1.10, Fall Camp, Decentralization

Tue, 17/07/2018 - 18:32

From Mike Conlon, VIVO Project Director

Welcome New LG members! Please help me welcome Christian Hauschke, Violeta Ilik and Alex Viggio as new community members of the Leadership Group. Each has been actively shaping the VIVO project. They are all wonderful to work with.

Leadership Group elections are now complete for the year. The Leadership Group meets monthly to review progress and set direction for the project. The Leadership Group will soon name a Steering Group to help it with its work.

I18n meeting Interested in helping VIVO improve its multi-lingual capabilities? The Internationalization Task Force is back in business after a hiatus. The group will be setting goals wand working toward making VIVO a truly international application. The first meeting of the task force will be held this week.

VIVO 1.10 VIVO 1.10 was released this week. Special thanks to Ralph O’Flinn of the University of Alabama, Birmingham, who served as the release manager! Here are the links:

Release Announcement
Release Notes
Full source release available for download here (82.4MB)

VIVO 1.10 was led by the VIVO Committers and Developers with major support from Andrew Woods .

The following individuals provided code, documentation and/or testing for the release:

Qazi Azim Ijaz Ahmad, Sabih Ali, Martin Barber, Jim Blake, Mike Conlon, Don Elsborg, Kitio Fofack, Ken Geis, Benjamin Gross, Huda Khan, Ted Lawless, Jacob Levernier, Brian Lowe, Jose Luis Martin, Christian Hauschke, Violeta Ilik, Steve McKay, Javed Muhammed, Simon Porter, Ralph O’Flinn, Graham Triggs, Tatiana Walther, Marijane White, Stefan Wolff, Andrew Woods, and Rebecca Younes

Thank you all!

New York, New York! VIVO Camp is coming to the Big Apple, October 18-20, 2018 at Columbia University! Join instructors Violeta Ilik, Huda Khan, Benjamin Gross, and Mike Conlon for 2.5 days of VIVO, including implementation, data sources, ontology, Karma, and new features in 1.10! Stay tuned for news about registration!

The Delicate Dance of Decentralization Professor Ruben Verborgh, a 2016 VIVO Conference invited speaker, presents paradigm shifts related to the decentralization of data via linked open data.

Verbogh, R “The delicate dance of decentralization and aggregation,” http://slides.verborgh.org/ELAG-2018/ Presented at the International Conference of the European Library Automation Group, 5 June 2018.

VIVO 1.10 introduces three new features for making data available for decentralized, distributed access, and for aggregation:

Direct2Experts. VIVO 1.10 sites include a Direct2Experts API that can participate in http://direct2experts.org See the Direct2Experts API in the VIVO 1.10.x Technical Documentation
The Data Distribution API. Available for VIVO 1.8, 1.9 and 1.10, the Data Distribution API supports the configuration of new APIs for VIVO providing data on demand. See the Data Distribution API in the VIVO 1.10.x Technical Documentation
The Triple Pattern Fragments API. New in 1.10 is the Triple Pattern Fragments (TPF) API. The API has been available in OpenVIVO for more than a year. TPF supports applications consuming data by providing a very fast, very light weight, stable endpoint for retrieving data from a VIVO site. Try it at http://openvivo.org/tpf/core You can read more about TPF here: Triple Pattern Fragments in the VIVO 1.10.x Technical Documentation
VIVO shares its data naturally. These new capabilities open new possibilities for building distributed applications using VIVO. Let us know when you’ve upgraded to 1.10. We’d like to build distributed applications.

Go VIVO!

The post VIVO Updates July 15 – Leadership Group, Internationalization, Version 1.10, Fall Camp, Decentralization appeared first on Duraspace.org.

VIDEO: June DSpace Developer Show & Tell; July Show & Tell on July 31

Wed, 11/07/2018 - 20:28

From Terry Brady, Georgetown University Library

The video from the June Developer Show and Tell (OR 2018 Recap) has been posted.
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Dev+Show+and+Tell+-+June+26%2C+2018+-+1500UTC+-+OR+2018+Recap

The July Developer Show and Tell scheduled for July 31 at 15:00 – 16:30 UTC (11AM ET – 12:30PM ET) will focus on Tools for working with a REST API. The meeting agenda topics apply to the REST API for DSpace 5, 6, and 7.

Agenda
• Art Lowell will share how he uses Postman to query the DSpace SOLR repositories.
• Terry Brady will demonstrate how to authenticate to the DSpace 7 REST API in Postman.
• James Creel will Share the Texas A&M MAGPIE (Metadata Assignment GUI Providing Ingest and Export) Tool

Meeting Logistics
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Dev+Show+and+Tell+-+July+31%2C+2018+-+1500UTC+-+REST+API+Tools

Ideas for future Developer Show and Tell Meetings are always welcome.

The post VIDEO: June DSpace Developer Show & Tell; July Show & Tell on July 31 appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Core Attributes of Fedora Repository Enable Complex Modeling of Data and Objects For Re-use in a Wide Variety of Instances

Tue, 10/07/2018 - 23:48

The name Fedora is an acronym for the Flexible Extensible Digital Object Repository Architecture. The Fedora Repository is very flexible; it is capable of serving as a digital content repository for a wide variety of use cases. Among these are digital asset management, institutional repositories, data repositories, digital archives, content management systems, scholarly publishing enterprises, and digital libraries. The Fedora Repository is able to store any sort of digital resource such as documents, videos, datasets, computer files, and images, plus it can store metadata about the content items in any format. In addition, the relationships between content items can be stored–which is often as important as the content items themselves. You can choose to store just the metadata and relationships for content which is held by another organization or system such as cloud storage, archival tape storage, databases etc.

Why Fedora?
Technological innovations occur because there is an unanswered need within a community that inspires individuals or groups to develop potential solutions to solve a problem. By 1998 early Internet users, particularly in the scholarly ecosystem, had become more sophisticated at creating and using many varieties of complex digital content. Digital repositories needed to evolve into more sophisticated storage and access containers. As digital collections grew, and were made use of in previously unconsidered ways, repository managers were faced with management tasks of increasing complexity. Collections contained multiple data types, and organizations need to archive and preserve complex objects, as well as web sites and other complex, multi-part documents. And finally, the need to establish relationships between data objects in a repository had become more and more apparent. It was in this era that core attributes of the Flexible Extensible Digital Object Repository Architecture–Fedora–were developed. But this is no mere anachronism; these core Fedora attributes remain key relevant features because community use cases of today are no less complex than they were 20 years ago.

Fedora development has been focused on whittling down the core to the most valuable kernel of abstraction around digital objects so that users and developers can access a Fedora repository to serve digital objects with even more flexibility in how they integrate surrounding services.

These original goals for Fedora’s development are still important:
• Identifiers: provision of persistent identifiers; unique names for all resources without respect for machine address
• Relationships: support for relationships between objects
• Tame Content: normalization of heterogeneous content and metadata based on an extensible object model
• Integrated Management: efficient management by repository administrators not only of the data and metadata in a repository, but also of the supporting programs, services and tools that make presentation of that data and metadata possible
• Interoperable Access: provision of interoperable access by means of a standard protocol to information about objects and for access to object content; discovery and execution of extensible service operations for digital objects
• Scalability: provision of support for >10 million objects
• Security: provision of flexible authentication and policy enforcement
• Preservation: provision of features to support longevity and archiving, including text-based serialization of objects and content versioning
• Content Recon: reuse of objects including object content being present in any number of contexts within a repository; repurposing of objects allowing dynamic content transformations to fit new presentations requirements

The Fedora digital object model offers the strengths and advantages of:
• Abstraction: The object model is the same whether the object is data, behavior definitions, or other kinds of objects. It also does not matter what kind of data the digital objects is representing—text, images, maps, audio, video, geospatial data are all the same to Fedora.
• Flexibility: Implementers of Fedora can design their content models to best represent their data and the presentation requirements of their specific use case.
• Generic: Metadata and content are tightly linked within the digital object.
• Aggregation: Fedora objects can refer to data that is stored locally or that is stored on any web accessible server.
• Extensibility: Fedora can be extended in a number of ways: event-based messaging workflows, the REST-API, and the API Extension Framework, which provides a mechanism for binding shareable services to repository resources.

Fedora continues to focus on durability as well, though this thinking has evolved over time. Fedora originally focused on XML as a preservation standard, specifically the Fedora Object XML or FOXML. While this had the advantage of making Fedora resources relatively human-readable, the use of a custom XML schema known only to the Fedora community presents its own set of long-term preservation and access challenges. The current version of Fedora focuses on modern, widely-adopted web standards as a means of avoiding the need to maintain custom schemas, and leverages RDF as the primary means of describing Fedora resources in a standardized way. An import/export utility allows Fedora users to export some or all of their resources as serialized RDF, which does not depend on a custom Fedora schema. Current efforts like the Oxford Common File Layout may be implemented in Fedora in the future to support even more preservation use cases.

Fedora repositories offer implementers the option of versioning both container (metadata) and binary resources. Versions can be created on-demand, and previous versions can be restored. The next major release of Fedora will support the Memento standard for retrieving historical versions of repository resources.
Object to Object Relationships: Relationships between objects can be stored via the metadata included in the objects. This allows implementers to link together related objects into parent/child relationships.
Event History: An audit trail can optionally be maintained for every object in a Fedora repository, which preserves a record of every change made to the object.

Fedora remains the best repository platform choice for users who need a flexible, extensible, scalable repository for complex modeling of data and objects that may be re-used in a wide variety of instances. Over 300 organizations in more than 35 countries have registered their Fedora installations. Visit the Fedora Registry to learn more about how Fedora is used by organizations and institutions.

The post Core Attributes of Fedora Repository Enable Complex Modeling of Data and Objects For Re-use in a Wide Variety of Instances appeared first on Duraspace.org.

VIVO 1.10 is Now Available for Download

Tue, 10/07/2018 - 23:37

From Mike Conlon, VIVO Project Director, on behalf of the VIVO Committers

VIVO 1.10 is now available!

VIVO 1.10 contains new features, performance improvements, and bug fixes. Some highlights:

• Support for RDF 1.1
• A new Triple Pattern Fragments API
• Support for the Data Distribution API
• Support for Direct2Experts
• Support for ORCiD API 2.0
• Use of Argon2i password hashing
• More than 40 improvements in code, and code used by VIVO
• 15 bug fixes
• Search results render faster if they contain Person results
• Indexing time has been improved
• Full handling of TDB type conversions, preventing isomorphic test failures that result in reloading filegraph on restart
• Graph URIs are now cached for triple stores using a Jena implementation – this is a significant difference for TDB triple stores
• Updating data via the UI is faster

For a complete list of improvements, see the VIVO 1.10 Release Notes

VIVO 1.10 can be downloaded now from https://github.com/vivo-project/VIVO/releases/tag/vivo-1.10.0

Upgrading to VIVO 1.10 requires a triple store unload, use of provided utilities to upgrade, and a reload. See Upgrading VIVO

VIVO 1.10 was led by the VIVO Committers and Developers with major support from Andrew Woods.

The following individuals provided code, documentation and/or testing for the release:

Qazi Azim Ijaz Ahmad, Sabih Ali, Martin Barber, Jim Blake, Mike Conlon, Don Elsborg, Kitio Fofack, Ken Geis, Benjamin Gross, Huda Khan, Ted Lawless, Jacob Levernier, Brian Lowe, Jose Luis Martin, Christian Hauschke, Violeta Ilik, Steve McKay, Javed Muhammed, Simon Porter, Ralph O’Flinn, Graham Triggs, Tatiana Walther, Marijane White, Stefan Wolff, Andrew Woods, and Rebecca Younes

A detailed listing of all known people/institutions who contributed to VIVO 1.10 is available in the Release Notes. If you contributed and were not listed, please let us know so that we can correct it!

As always, we are happy to hear back from the community about VIVO. Please let us know what you think of 1.10!

The post VIVO 1.10 is Now Available for Download appeared first on Duraspace.org.

VIVO Updates — List of VIVO Sites, Trip to China, and a Great Book

Mon, 09/07/2018 - 21:46

VIVO Site Registry The VIVO Site registry is a list of all the known VIVO sites in the world. I get asked all the time “Is there a list of VIVO sites?” Well, yes, there is. You can find the site registry here: http://bit.ly/vivo-sites

Is your site in the registry? Hint: you don’t need to be in production, we think it’s really cool to hear you have a site in development. To add your site to the registry, click here: http://registry.duraspace.org/register-repository

Association of Data, Information and Society, Nanjing China I had the recent honor to be invited to give a talk on VIVO at the inaugural conference of the Association of Data, Information, and Society at Nanjing University in Nanjng, China. You can find my slides here: https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.6790694.

The association has a goal of increasing contact between information and data scholars in China with those in the rest of the world. The conference had over 200 attendees and included talks by Gary Marchionini of the University of North Carolina, Ying Ding of Indiana University, Mark Musen of Stanford University, Jim Hendler of RPI, Dean Allemang of Working Ontologist (see below), Stefan Decker of RWTH Aachen University, Ahmed Abbis of the University of Virginia, and Barend Mons of Leiden University in the Netherlands.

Next year’s conference is expected to be held in Wuhan China, and will be chaired by Mark Musen of Stanford University.

VIVO Books From time to time, I’ll pass along books I have found to be useful in thinking about VIVO and learning more about its information underpinnings. If you work with VIVO and want to understand more about its information system and its representation of scholarship as linked open data, you won’t do better than “The Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist” by Jim Hendler (two-time VIVO conference keynote speaker) and Dean Allemang, whose consulting company is called “Working Ontologist”. Jim and Dean clearly describe the semantic web, linked data, and ontology. For anyone with a background in data representation, and particularly for anyone who has wondered if relational tables are the only way, this book shows how connected graphs of data work, why they are important, and how, through ontology, they provide the best mechanisms yet found for sharing data. Unlike other information representation systems, linked data includes its semantics, allowing deep processing by machines, and simplified processing and sharing for humans and machines. If the semantic web or ontology seems complex, this book will help. And once you’ve read it, you may find it difficult to understand how other information representation systems scale. Extremely well-written and entertaining, with extensive examples and clear thinking, its hard to imagine a better introduction to the way the semantic web represents information. I can’t recommend this book highly enough. Should be required reading for all of us creating open data for scholarship, and all of us working on VIVO.

Allemang, Dean, and Hendler, James Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist, Second Edition: Effective Modeling in RDFS and OWL 2nd Edition, Morgan-Kaufmann, 384 pages. ISBN 978-0123859655

Go VIVO!

The post VIVO Updates — List of VIVO Sites, Trip to China, and a Great Book appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Now Available: DSpace 5.9 release, providing bug fixes to 5.x

Mon, 02/07/2018 - 18:57

From Tim Donohue, DSpace and DSpaceDirect Tech Lead, on behalf of the DSpace Committers

As you may have seen earlier this week (in the JSPUI security notice email), DSpace 5.9 is now available! DSpace 5.9 provides bug fixes and improvements to the DSpace 5.x platform.

DSpace 5.9 can be downloaded immediately from: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/releases/tag/dspace-5.9

5.9 Release notes are available at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/Release+Notes

DSpace 5.9 is a bug fix release to resolve several issues located in previous 5.x releases. As it only provides only bug fixes, DSpace 5.9 should constitute an easy upgrade from DSpace 5.x for most users. No database changes should be necessary when upgrading from DSpace 5.x to 5.9.

DSpace 5.9 contains two security fixes for JSPUI users. If you use JSPUI we recommend that you test and upgrade this release as soon as possible (or upgrade to 6.3, which also fixes these issues).

JSPUI security fixes include
[HIGH SEVERITY] A user can inject malicious Javascript into the names of EPeople or Groups. This is most severe in sites which allow anyone to register for a new account. (https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3866 – requires a JIRA account to access.)
Reported by Julio Brafman
[MEDIUM SEVERITY] Any user was able to export metadata to CSV format if they knew the correct JSPUI path/parameters. Additionally, the exported CSV included metadata fields which are flagged as hidden in configuration. (https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3840 – requires a JIRA account to access.)
Reported by Eike Kleiner (ZHAW, Zurich University of Applied Sciences)
Major bug fixes include
Update DSpace ORCID Integration to use ORCID API v2 (instead of now obsolete ORCID v1): DS-3447
Update DSpace Statistics to use GeoIP API v2 (instead of now discontinued GeoIP API v1): DS-3832
Other API-level fixes (affecting all UIs)
PostgreSQL JDBC driver upgraded to latest version (to allow for full compatibility with PostgreSQL v10): DS-3854
Ensure ImageMagick thumbnails respect the orientation of original file: DS-3839
OAI-PMH Fixes
Enhanced “oai import” command to report on items that cause indexing issues: DS-3852
Fix 500 error when no Community or Collection: DS-3853
XMLUI Fixes
Fixed Mirage v2 build issues caused by Bower Registry URL change: DS-3936
Fixed performance issues for Items with 100+ bitstreams: DS-3883
Fix issue where search results lose Community/Collection context when sorting: DS-3835
Update Mirage to use recommended MathJax inline delimiters (DS-3087) and to use new CDN location (DS-3560)
For more information, see the Changes section in the DuraSpace wiki.

5.9 Acknowledgments

The 5.9 release was led by the DSpace Committers, with major support from Kim Shepherd and Tim Donohue.

The following individuals provided code or bug fixes to the 5.9 release: Pascal-Nicolas Becker, Ben Bosman, Terry Brady, Tim Donohue, Alex Magaz Graça, Lotte Hofstede, Ivan Masár, Hardy Pottinger, Kim Shepherd, Jonas Van Goolen and Mark H. Wood.

A detailed listing of all known people/institutions who contributed directly to DSpace 5.x is available in the Release Notes. If you contributed and were not listed, please let us know so that we can correct it!

As always, we are happy to hear back from the community about DSpace. Please let us know what you think of 5.9!

The post Now Available: DSpace 5.9 release, providing bug fixes to 5.x appeared first on Duraspace.org.

VIVO Updates July 1, 2018 — Membership Task Force, Action Planning, Leadership Group Elections

Mon, 02/07/2018 - 16:56

Membership Task Force A membership task force for VIVO is forming. See 2018 Membership Task Force. Participants include Terrie Wheeler, Weill Cornell Medicine, Virginia (Ginny) Pannabecker, Virginia Tech, Dong Joon (DJ) Lee, Texas A&M University, and Ann Beynon of Clarivate. If you would like to participate, please contact Mike Conlon. The group is tasked with working with Duraspace and the community to build relationships with those who may be interested in financially supporting the VIVO project as members. Membership is the key means by which VIVO grows. If you have ideas about growing membership or know of those who might consider becoming members, please contact one of the task force members.

Action Planning The Action Planning Process, which began March 1 and will run through Feb 28, 2019, is making progress in five areas — product evolution, resources and membership, community development, vision, and governance and structure. See updates here (new material is on the bottom of the document) http://bit.ly/2tJwRyQ

Leadership Group Elections The VIVO Leadership Group is looking to add three new members, elected by the member community liaisons. The Leadership Group is the top-level governance group for the VIVO project. Chaired by Julia Trimmer of Duke, the Leadership Group sets fundamental directional for all aspects of the project. Nominations have been received, and voting will occur through July 11. Look for an announcement here in two weeks of new Leadership Group Members. We appreciate the interest of the nominees and look forward to having new members of Leadership soon.

Are you interested in having your institution participate in the direction of the project? Become a member, financially supporting VIVO. Becoming a member is the best way to help VIVO succeed. See http://bit.ly/dura-join

Go VIVO!

The post VIVO Updates July 1, 2018 — Membership Task Force, Action Planning, Leadership Group Elections appeared first on Duraspace.org.

SIGN UP for DSpace 7 (Virtual) Development Sprint #2, July 9-20

Tue, 26/06/2018 - 23:59

From Tim Donohue Technical Lead for DSpace & DSpaceDirect

Just a reminder that our Second DSpace Community Sprint is coming up on July 9-20! This is a great opportunity to get familiar with DSpace 7 and also help us complete DSpace 7 more quickly. As of right now, our signup list is still a bit light. Signups for this two-week sprint are open at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints

During our first DSpace 7 two week sprint (May 7-18), the team completed 10 Pull Requests (PRs) to DSpace 7. We have an additional 4 PRs that began during the sprint, and should be merged in the very near future. Work concentrated primarily on bug fixes and building out administrative functionality in DSpace 7. Most of the effort this time around concentrated on the REST API (as most participants were more comfortable with Java development).

Feedback from sprint participants was very positive. Overall, they noted they learned a lot about DSpace 7 during the experience. They said they felt well supported by our sprint coaches, who were quick to respond with ideas and suggestions when they encountered issues. We also received great feedback on how to improve the sprint process for the future, namely around enhancing the documentation and getting started information for DSpace 7.

The full summary & feedback from Sprint #1 is available at:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprint+1

Our next DSpace 7 Sprint (aptly named Sprint #2) will be coming up from July 9-20. Signups for this two-week sprint are open at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints

We’d love to have you or your team take part in DSpace 7 development! It’s also a great opportunity to get hands-on learning experience with the upcoming DSpace 7 in a welcome, supportive environment.

If you have any questions about participating in a sprint, please “>get in touch.

The post SIGN UP for DSpace 7 (Virtual) Development Sprint #2, July 9-20 appeared first on Duraspace.org.

KAUST Repository Now Live with ORCIDv2 API

Tue, 26/06/2018 - 17:30

From Bram Luyten, Atmire  Originally launched in 2012, KAUST Research Repository has grown to over 18,000 items of KAUST research. KAUST Library and Atmire have worked together on the latest KAUST Repository upgrade featuring ORCIDv2 support, audiovisual streaming and other improvements.

ORCIDv2 and Author authority control

The majority of new items coming into KAUST Repository is mediated by the library. Therefore it was key that ORCIDs could successfully be added to author information on items, both in the manual submission forms as well as in the DSpace facilities that allow spreadsheet-based ingest of new items.

On item pages, authors associated with an ORCID id can be identified by the badges alongside their names. These badges can be clicked to navigate to an author’s profile on orcid.org

For each individual person, authority records have been generated in the repository. This enables homonym support, meaning that separate lists of publications can be managed for two people both named “Smith, John”. At the same time, it is also possible to link up a single ORCID id with multiple name variants of the same person.

These facilities for homonym and name variant support can be used both on authors that have an ORCID, as well as authors that are only represented with a name.

In the near term, read and write operations of ORCIDS for authors on DSpace items through the DSpace REST API are being explored.

Audiovisual streaming

To optimize access on different devices, the repository now streams videos uploaded as bitstreams to items. This is possible without Flash, Silverlight or any other dependency that requires a component to be installed on the client browser before streaming can be offered. Click here to see this feature in action.

Atmire repository services

KAUST Repository is based on Atmire’s Open Repository platform. Contact us to learn more about Atmire’s repository services.

KAUST original announcement: https://library.kaust.edu.sa/newsitem/improved-res…

The post KAUST Repository Now Live with ORCIDv2 API appeared first on Duraspace.org.

4Science Updates from the Open Repositories and EuroCRIS Conferences

Tue, 26/06/2018 - 16:57

From Claudio Cortese, 4Science  In June two major events were held involving the Repositories Community: Open Repositories OR2018 in Bozeman, MT (USA), and CRIS2018 in Umeå (Sweden).

In Bozeman 4Science took part in presentations related to providing updates on DSpace 7 development (here you can find all the talks/workshops). 4Science co-led the workshop on DSpace 7 REST API and co-presented a project with Hasselt University, where we developed the DSpace 7 UI new submission module (https://bit.ly/2ytG96M).

We presented:

  • the implementation within DSpace-CRIS of the IIIF Authentication API (https://bit.ly/2K2hFGx);
  • the migration to DSpace-GLAM of the Digital Library at the National Library of Naples (https://bit.ly/2M87dKS);
  • a talk on: Next generation repositories: Scaling up repositories to a global knowledge commons, co-authored with some members of the COAR NGR WG;
  • a poster about the implementation of interoperability tools in several open source platform thanks to an OpenAIRE award (https://bit.ly/2tpuFvc); our poster was voted by attendees as the most relevant to the conference theme;
  • a poster on Research Data Management Platforms (https://bit.ly/2tn1KrL).

Finally, 4Science was part of the team who won the Ideas Challenge with a proposal for image tagging within DSpace by means of the IIIF Image Viewer and an Artificial Intelligence application.

Following OR we traveled to Umeå, Sweden where we organized a workshop on DSpace-CRIS within the event co-hosted by euroCRIS and DuraSpace. After presenting the updates on the roadmap to DSpace 7 and an overview of DSpace-CRIS, we left the floor to several institutions that presented their DSpace-CRIS projects in collaboration with 4Science:

During the conference there were more contributions by our Clients, including the Technical University of Hamburg with the self-explaining title “From PURE to DSpace-CRIS”. On Friday we held a tutorial and on the last day we finished with a presentation on how to make research information FAIR with DSpace-CRIS.

The post 4Science Updates from the Open Repositories and EuroCRIS Conferences appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Call for Fedora Leadership Group Nominations

Mon, 25/06/2018 - 16:34

Fedora Community we need you!

The Fedora project is seeking two individuals from the community to be an active participant in the future of the Fedora project by serving as a member of the Fedora Leadership Group.  

We invite anyone in the Fedora community, DuraSpace members (whose institution doesn’t already have a Leadership Group seat) or non-members of DuraSpace, to nominate an individual who you believe would be a good representative of the community (self-nominations are welcome).

Members of the Leadership Group play a key role in setting the strategic direction and priorities of the project through the approval of the annual budget allocation and project roadmap and establishing the annual community direction.  Ideal candidates should be familiar with Fedora and have an interest in being engaged with key project decisions and the broader user community. It is also helpful if the candidate has fiscal or staffing responsibility within their organization and able to bring the commitment, creativity, and dedication that the role calls for.

Learn more about the Fedora Leadership Group here.

Please submit your nomination using this form by Friday, June 29, 2018.  Self-nominations are welcome.  

Next Steps

At the end of the nomination process anyone nominated will be asked to submit a brief personal statement expressing why they would be a suitable candidate for the Leadership Group.  An election will follow at which time the Fedora community will be asked to vote for two candidates.

If you have any questions about the Fedora project governance or the nomination and election process please contact Kristi Searle.

The post Call for Fedora Leadership Group Nominations appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Call for DSpace Leadership Group Nominations

Mon, 25/06/2018 - 16:18

The DSpace project is seeking two individuals from the community to be an active participant in the future of DSpace by serving as a member of the DSpace Leadership Group.  

We invite anyone in the DSpace community, DuraSpace members (whose institution doesn’t already have a Leadership Group seat) or non-members of DuraSpace, to nominate an individual who you believe would be a good representative of the community (self-nominations are welcome).

Members of the Leadership Group play a key role in setting the strategic direction and priorities of the project through the approval of the annual budget allocation and project roadmap and establishing the annual community direction.  Ideal candidates should be familiar with DSpace and have an interest in being engaged with key project decisions and the broader user community. It is also helpful if the candidate has fiscal or staffing responsibility within their organization and able to bring the commitment, creativity, and dedication that the role calls for.

Learn more about the DSpace Leadership Group here.

Please submit your nomination using this form by Friday, June 29, 2018.  Self-nominations are welcome.

Next Steps

At the end of the nomination process anyone nominated will be asked to submit a brief personal statement expressing why they would be a suitable candidate for the Leadership Group.  An election will follow at which time the Dspace community will be asked to vote for two candidates.

If you have any questions about the DSpace project governance or the nomination and election process please contact Kristi Searle.

The post Call for DSpace Leadership Group Nominations appeared first on Duraspace.org.