DSpace news

ინფოარხების ცნობების შეკრება
Updated: 7 საათი 37 წუთი-ს წინ

VIDEO: June DSpace Developer Show & Tell; July Show & Tell on July 31

ოთხ, 11/07/2018 - 20:28

From Terry Brady, Georgetown University Library

The video from the June Developer Show and Tell (OR 2018 Recap) has been posted.
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Dev+Show+and+Tell+-+June+26%2C+2018+-+1500UTC+-+OR+2018+Recap

The July Developer Show and Tell scheduled for July 31 at 15:00 – 16:30 UTC (11AM ET – 12:30PM ET) will focus on Tools for working with a REST API. The meeting agenda topics apply to the REST API for DSpace 5, 6, and 7.

Agenda
• Art Lowell will share how he uses Postman to query the DSpace SOLR repositories.
• Terry Brady will demonstrate how to authenticate to the DSpace 7 REST API in Postman.
• James Creel will Share the Texas A&M MAGPIE (Metadata Assignment GUI Providing Ingest and Export) Tool

Meeting Logistics
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Dev+Show+and+Tell+-+July+31%2C+2018+-+1500UTC+-+REST+API+Tools

Ideas for future Developer Show and Tell Meetings are always welcome.

The post VIDEO: June DSpace Developer Show & Tell; July Show & Tell on July 31 appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Core Attributes of Fedora Repository Enable Complex Modeling of Data and Objects For Re-use in a Wide Variety of Instances

სამ, 10/07/2018 - 23:48

The name Fedora is an acronym for the Flexible Extensible Digital Object Repository Architecture. The Fedora Repository is very flexible; it is capable of serving as a digital content repository for a wide variety of use cases. Among these are digital asset management, institutional repositories, data repositories, digital archives, content management systems, scholarly publishing enterprises, and digital libraries. The Fedora Repository is able to store any sort of digital resource such as documents, videos, datasets, computer files, and images, plus it can store metadata about the content items in any format. In addition, the relationships between content items can be stored–which is often as important as the content items themselves. You can choose to store just the metadata and relationships for content which is held by another organization or system such as cloud storage, archival tape storage, databases etc.

Why Fedora?
Technological innovations occur because there is an unanswered need within a community that inspires individuals or groups to develop potential solutions to solve a problem. By 1998 early Internet users, particularly in the scholarly ecosystem, had become more sophisticated at creating and using many varieties of complex digital content. Digital repositories needed to evolve into more sophisticated storage and access containers. As digital collections grew, and were made use of in previously unconsidered ways, repository managers were faced with management tasks of increasing complexity. Collections contained multiple data types, and organizations need to archive and preserve complex objects, as well as web sites and other complex, multi-part documents. And finally, the need to establish relationships between data objects in a repository had become more and more apparent. It was in this era that core attributes of the Flexible Extensible Digital Object Repository Architecture–Fedora–were developed. But this is no mere anachronism; these core Fedora attributes remain key relevant features because community use cases of today are no less complex than they were 20 years ago.

Fedora development has been focused on whittling down the core to the most valuable kernel of abstraction around digital objects so that users and developers can access a Fedora repository to serve digital objects with even more flexibility in how they integrate surrounding services.

These original goals for Fedora’s development are still important:
• Identifiers: provision of persistent identifiers; unique names for all resources without respect for machine address
• Relationships: support for relationships between objects
• Tame Content: normalization of heterogeneous content and metadata based on an extensible object model
• Integrated Management: efficient management by repository administrators not only of the data and metadata in a repository, but also of the supporting programs, services and tools that make presentation of that data and metadata possible
• Interoperable Access: provision of interoperable access by means of a standard protocol to information about objects and for access to object content; discovery and execution of extensible service operations for digital objects
• Scalability: provision of support for >10 million objects
• Security: provision of flexible authentication and policy enforcement
• Preservation: provision of features to support longevity and archiving, including text-based serialization of objects and content versioning
• Content Recon: reuse of objects including object content being present in any number of contexts within a repository; repurposing of objects allowing dynamic content transformations to fit new presentations requirements

The Fedora digital object model offers the strengths and advantages of:
• Abstraction: The object model is the same whether the object is data, behavior definitions, or other kinds of objects. It also does not matter what kind of data the digital objects is representing—text, images, maps, audio, video, geospatial data are all the same to Fedora.
• Flexibility: Implementers of Fedora can design their content models to best represent their data and the presentation requirements of their specific use case.
• Generic: Metadata and content are tightly linked within the digital object.
• Aggregation: Fedora objects can refer to data that is stored locally or that is stored on any web accessible server.
• Extensibility: Fedora can be extended in a number of ways: event-based messaging workflows, the REST-API, and the API Extension Framework, which provides a mechanism for binding shareable services to repository resources.

Fedora continues to focus on durability as well, though this thinking has evolved over time. Fedora originally focused on XML as a preservation standard, specifically the Fedora Object XML or FOXML. While this had the advantage of making Fedora resources relatively human-readable, the use of a custom XML schema known only to the Fedora community presents its own set of long-term preservation and access challenges. The current version of Fedora focuses on modern, widely-adopted web standards as a means of avoiding the need to maintain custom schemas, and leverages RDF as the primary means of describing Fedora resources in a standardized way. An import/export utility allows Fedora users to export some or all of their resources as serialized RDF, which does not depend on a custom Fedora schema. Current efforts like the Oxford Common File Layout may be implemented in Fedora in the future to support even more preservation use cases.

Fedora repositories offer implementers the option of versioning both container (metadata) and binary resources. Versions can be created on-demand, and previous versions can be restored. The next major release of Fedora will support the Memento standard for retrieving historical versions of repository resources.
Object to Object Relationships: Relationships between objects can be stored via the metadata included in the objects. This allows implementers to link together related objects into parent/child relationships.
Event History: An audit trail can optionally be maintained for every object in a Fedora repository, which preserves a record of every change made to the object.

Fedora remains the best repository platform choice for users who need a flexible, extensible, scalable repository for complex modeling of data and objects that may be re-used in a wide variety of instances. Over 300 organizations in more than 35 countries have registered their Fedora installations. Visit the Fedora Registry to learn more about how Fedora is used by organizations and institutions.

The post Core Attributes of Fedora Repository Enable Complex Modeling of Data and Objects For Re-use in a Wide Variety of Instances appeared first on Duraspace.org.

VIVO 1.10 is Now Available for Download

სამ, 10/07/2018 - 23:37

From Mike Conlon, VIVO Project Director, on behalf of the VIVO Committers

VIVO 1.10 is now available!

VIVO 1.10 contains new features, performance improvements, and bug fixes. Some highlights:

• Support for RDF 1.1
• A new Triple Pattern Fragments API
• Support for the Data Distribution API
• Support for Direct2Experts
• Support for ORCiD API 2.0
• Use of Argon2i password hashing
• More than 40 improvements in code, and code used by VIVO
• 15 bug fixes
• Search results render faster if they contain Person results
• Indexing time has been improved
• Full handling of TDB type conversions, preventing isomorphic test failures that result in reloading filegraph on restart
• Graph URIs are now cached for triple stores using a Jena implementation – this is a significant difference for TDB triple stores
• Updating data via the UI is faster

For a complete list of improvements, see the VIVO 1.10 Release Notes

VIVO 1.10 can be downloaded now from https://github.com/vivo-project/VIVO/releases/tag/vivo-1.10.0

Upgrading to VIVO 1.10 requires a triple store unload, use of provided utilities to upgrade, and a reload. See Upgrading VIVO

VIVO 1.10 was led by the VIVO Committers and Developers with major support from Andrew Woods.

The following individuals provided code, documentation and/or testing for the release:

Qazi Azim Ijaz Ahmad, Sabih Ali, Martin Barber, Jim Blake, Mike Conlon, Don Elsborg, Kitio Fofack, Ken Geis, Benjamin Gross, Huda Khan, Ted Lawless, Jacob Levernier, Brian Lowe, Jose Luis Martin, Christian Hauschke, Violeta Ilik, Steve McKay, Javed Muhammed, Simon Porter, Ralph O’Flinn, Graham Triggs, Tatiana Walther, Marijane White, Stefan Wolff, Andrew Woods, and Rebecca Younes

A detailed listing of all known people/institutions who contributed to VIVO 1.10 is available in the Release Notes. If you contributed and were not listed, please let us know so that we can correct it!

As always, we are happy to hear back from the community about VIVO. Please let us know what you think of 1.10!

The post VIVO 1.10 is Now Available for Download appeared first on Duraspace.org.

VIVO Updates — List of VIVO Sites, Trip to China, and a Great Book

ორშ, 09/07/2018 - 21:46

VIVO Site Registry The VIVO Site registry is a list of all the known VIVO sites in the world. I get asked all the time “Is there a list of VIVO sites?” Well, yes, there is. You can find the site registry here: http://bit.ly/vivo-sites

Is your site in the registry? Hint: you don’t need to be in production, we think it’s really cool to hear you have a site in development. To add your site to the registry, click here: http://registry.duraspace.org/register-repository

Association of Data, Information and Society, Nanjing China I had the recent honor to be invited to give a talk on VIVO at the inaugural conference of the Association of Data, Information, and Society at Nanjing University in Nanjng, China. You can find my slides here: https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.6790694.

The association has a goal of increasing contact between information and data scholars in China with those in the rest of the world. The conference had over 200 attendees and included talks by Gary Marchionini of the University of North Carolina, Ying Ding of Indiana University, Mark Musen of Stanford University, Jim Hendler of RPI, Dean Allemang of Working Ontologist (see below), Stefan Decker of RWTH Aachen University, Ahmed Abbis of the University of Virginia, and Barend Mons of Leiden University in the Netherlands.

Next year’s conference is expected to be held in Wuhan China, and will be chaired by Mark Musen of Stanford University.

VIVO Books From time to time, I’ll pass along books I have found to be useful in thinking about VIVO and learning more about its information underpinnings. If you work with VIVO and want to understand more about its information system and its representation of scholarship as linked open data, you won’t do better than “The Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist” by Jim Hendler (two-time VIVO conference keynote speaker) and Dean Allemang, whose consulting company is called “Working Ontologist”. Jim and Dean clearly describe the semantic web, linked data, and ontology. For anyone with a background in data representation, and particularly for anyone who has wondered if relational tables are the only way, this book shows how connected graphs of data work, why they are important, and how, through ontology, they provide the best mechanisms yet found for sharing data. Unlike other information representation systems, linked data includes its semantics, allowing deep processing by machines, and simplified processing and sharing for humans and machines. If the semantic web or ontology seems complex, this book will help. And once you’ve read it, you may find it difficult to understand how other information representation systems scale. Extremely well-written and entertaining, with extensive examples and clear thinking, its hard to imagine a better introduction to the way the semantic web represents information. I can’t recommend this book highly enough. Should be required reading for all of us creating open data for scholarship, and all of us working on VIVO.

Allemang, Dean, and Hendler, James Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist, Second Edition: Effective Modeling in RDFS and OWL 2nd Edition, Morgan-Kaufmann, 384 pages. ISBN 978-0123859655

Go VIVO!

The post VIVO Updates — List of VIVO Sites, Trip to China, and a Great Book appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Now Available: DSpace 5.9 release, providing bug fixes to 5.x

ორშ, 02/07/2018 - 18:57

From Tim Donohue, DSpace and DSpaceDirect Tech Lead, on behalf of the DSpace Committers

As you may have seen earlier this week (in the JSPUI security notice email), DSpace 5.9 is now available! DSpace 5.9 provides bug fixes and improvements to the DSpace 5.x platform.

DSpace 5.9 can be downloaded immediately from: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/releases/tag/dspace-5.9

5.9 Release notes are available at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/Release+Notes

DSpace 5.9 is a bug fix release to resolve several issues located in previous 5.x releases. As it only provides only bug fixes, DSpace 5.9 should constitute an easy upgrade from DSpace 5.x for most users. No database changes should be necessary when upgrading from DSpace 5.x to 5.9.

DSpace 5.9 contains two security fixes for JSPUI users. If you use JSPUI we recommend that you test and upgrade this release as soon as possible (or upgrade to 6.3, which also fixes these issues).

JSPUI security fixes include
[HIGH SEVERITY] A user can inject malicious Javascript into the names of EPeople or Groups. This is most severe in sites which allow anyone to register for a new account. (https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3866 – requires a JIRA account to access.)
Reported by Julio Brafman
[MEDIUM SEVERITY] Any user was able to export metadata to CSV format if they knew the correct JSPUI path/parameters. Additionally, the exported CSV included metadata fields which are flagged as hidden in configuration. (https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3840 – requires a JIRA account to access.)
Reported by Eike Kleiner (ZHAW, Zurich University of Applied Sciences)
Major bug fixes include
Update DSpace ORCID Integration to use ORCID API v2 (instead of now obsolete ORCID v1): DS-3447
Update DSpace Statistics to use GeoIP API v2 (instead of now discontinued GeoIP API v1): DS-3832
Other API-level fixes (affecting all UIs)
PostgreSQL JDBC driver upgraded to latest version (to allow for full compatibility with PostgreSQL v10): DS-3854
Ensure ImageMagick thumbnails respect the orientation of original file: DS-3839
OAI-PMH Fixes
Enhanced “oai import” command to report on items that cause indexing issues: DS-3852
Fix 500 error when no Community or Collection: DS-3853
XMLUI Fixes
Fixed Mirage v2 build issues caused by Bower Registry URL change: DS-3936
Fixed performance issues for Items with 100+ bitstreams: DS-3883
Fix issue where search results lose Community/Collection context when sorting: DS-3835
Update Mirage to use recommended MathJax inline delimiters (DS-3087) and to use new CDN location (DS-3560)
For more information, see the Changes section in the DuraSpace wiki.

5.9 Acknowledgments

The 5.9 release was led by the DSpace Committers, with major support from Kim Shepherd and Tim Donohue.

The following individuals provided code or bug fixes to the 5.9 release: Pascal-Nicolas Becker, Ben Bosman, Terry Brady, Tim Donohue, Alex Magaz Graça, Lotte Hofstede, Ivan Masár, Hardy Pottinger, Kim Shepherd, Jonas Van Goolen and Mark H. Wood.

A detailed listing of all known people/institutions who contributed directly to DSpace 5.x is available in the Release Notes. If you contributed and were not listed, please let us know so that we can correct it!

As always, we are happy to hear back from the community about DSpace. Please let us know what you think of 5.9!

The post Now Available: DSpace 5.9 release, providing bug fixes to 5.x appeared first on Duraspace.org.

VIVO Updates July 1, 2018 — Membership Task Force, Action Planning, Leadership Group Elections

ორშ, 02/07/2018 - 16:56

Membership Task Force A membership task force for VIVO is forming. See 2018 Membership Task Force. Participants include Terrie Wheeler, Weill Cornell Medicine, Virginia (Ginny) Pannabecker, Virginia Tech, Dong Joon (DJ) Lee, Texas A&M University, and Ann Beynon of Clarivate. If you would like to participate, please contact Mike Conlon. The group is tasked with working with Duraspace and the community to build relationships with those who may be interested in financially supporting the VIVO project as members. Membership is the key means by which VIVO grows. If you have ideas about growing membership or know of those who might consider becoming members, please contact one of the task force members.

Action Planning The Action Planning Process, which began March 1 and will run through Feb 28, 2019, is making progress in five areas — product evolution, resources and membership, community development, vision, and governance and structure. See updates here (new material is on the bottom of the document) http://bit.ly/2tJwRyQ

Leadership Group Elections The VIVO Leadership Group is looking to add three new members, elected by the member community liaisons. The Leadership Group is the top-level governance group for the VIVO project. Chaired by Julia Trimmer of Duke, the Leadership Group sets fundamental directional for all aspects of the project. Nominations have been received, and voting will occur through July 11. Look for an announcement here in two weeks of new Leadership Group Members. We appreciate the interest of the nominees and look forward to having new members of Leadership soon.

Are you interested in having your institution participate in the direction of the project? Become a member, financially supporting VIVO. Becoming a member is the best way to help VIVO succeed. See http://bit.ly/dura-join

Go VIVO!

The post VIVO Updates July 1, 2018 — Membership Task Force, Action Planning, Leadership Group Elections appeared first on Duraspace.org.

SIGN UP for DSpace 7 (Virtual) Development Sprint #2, July 9-20

სამ, 26/06/2018 - 23:59

From Tim Donohue Technical Lead for DSpace & DSpaceDirect

Just a reminder that our Second DSpace Community Sprint is coming up on July 9-20! This is a great opportunity to get familiar with DSpace 7 and also help us complete DSpace 7 more quickly. As of right now, our signup list is still a bit light. Signups for this two-week sprint are open at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints

During our first DSpace 7 two week sprint (May 7-18), the team completed 10 Pull Requests (PRs) to DSpace 7. We have an additional 4 PRs that began during the sprint, and should be merged in the very near future. Work concentrated primarily on bug fixes and building out administrative functionality in DSpace 7. Most of the effort this time around concentrated on the REST API (as most participants were more comfortable with Java development).

Feedback from sprint participants was very positive. Overall, they noted they learned a lot about DSpace 7 during the experience. They said they felt well supported by our sprint coaches, who were quick to respond with ideas and suggestions when they encountered issues. We also received great feedback on how to improve the sprint process for the future, namely around enhancing the documentation and getting started information for DSpace 7.

The full summary & feedback from Sprint #1 is available at:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprint+1

Our next DSpace 7 Sprint (aptly named Sprint #2) will be coming up from July 9-20. Signups for this two-week sprint are open at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints

We’d love to have you or your team take part in DSpace 7 development! It’s also a great opportunity to get hands-on learning experience with the upcoming DSpace 7 in a welcome, supportive environment.

If you have any questions about participating in a sprint, please “>get in touch.

The post SIGN UP for DSpace 7 (Virtual) Development Sprint #2, July 9-20 appeared first on Duraspace.org.

KAUST Repository Now Live with ORCIDv2 API

სამ, 26/06/2018 - 17:30

From Bram Luyten, Atmire  Originally launched in 2012, KAUST Research Repository has grown to over 18,000 items of KAUST research. KAUST Library and Atmire have worked together on the latest KAUST Repository upgrade featuring ORCIDv2 support, audiovisual streaming and other improvements.

ORCIDv2 and Author authority control

The majority of new items coming into KAUST Repository is mediated by the library. Therefore it was key that ORCIDs could successfully be added to author information on items, both in the manual submission forms as well as in the DSpace facilities that allow spreadsheet-based ingest of new items.

On item pages, authors associated with an ORCID id can be identified by the badges alongside their names. These badges can be clicked to navigate to an author’s profile on orcid.org

For each individual person, authority records have been generated in the repository. This enables homonym support, meaning that separate lists of publications can be managed for two people both named “Smith, John”. At the same time, it is also possible to link up a single ORCID id with multiple name variants of the same person.

These facilities for homonym and name variant support can be used both on authors that have an ORCID, as well as authors that are only represented with a name.

In the near term, read and write operations of ORCIDS for authors on DSpace items through the DSpace REST API are being explored.

Audiovisual streaming

To optimize access on different devices, the repository now streams videos uploaded as bitstreams to items. This is possible without Flash, Silverlight or any other dependency that requires a component to be installed on the client browser before streaming can be offered. Click here to see this feature in action.

Atmire repository services

KAUST Repository is based on Atmire’s Open Repository platform. Contact us to learn more about Atmire’s repository services.

KAUST original announcement: https://library.kaust.edu.sa/newsitem/improved-res…

The post KAUST Repository Now Live with ORCIDv2 API appeared first on Duraspace.org.

4Science Updates from the Open Repositories and EuroCRIS Conferences

სამ, 26/06/2018 - 16:57

From Claudio Cortese, 4Science  In June two major events were held involving the Repositories Community: Open Repositories OR2018 in Bozeman, MT (USA), and CRIS2018 in Umeå (Sweden).

In Bozeman 4Science took part in presentations related to providing updates on DSpace 7 development (here you can find all the talks/workshops). 4Science co-led the workshop on DSpace 7 REST API and co-presented a project with Hasselt University, where we developed the DSpace 7 UI new submission module (https://bit.ly/2ytG96M).

We presented:

  • the implementation within DSpace-CRIS of the IIIF Authentication API (https://bit.ly/2K2hFGx);
  • the migration to DSpace-GLAM of the Digital Library at the National Library of Naples (https://bit.ly/2M87dKS);
  • a talk on: Next generation repositories: Scaling up repositories to a global knowledge commons, co-authored with some members of the COAR NGR WG;
  • a poster about the implementation of interoperability tools in several open source platform thanks to an OpenAIRE award (https://bit.ly/2tpuFvc); our poster was voted by attendees as the most relevant to the conference theme;
  • a poster on Research Data Management Platforms (https://bit.ly/2tn1KrL).

Finally, 4Science was part of the team who won the Ideas Challenge with a proposal for image tagging within DSpace by means of the IIIF Image Viewer and an Artificial Intelligence application.

Following OR we traveled to Umeå, Sweden where we organized a workshop on DSpace-CRIS within the event co-hosted by euroCRIS and DuraSpace. After presenting the updates on the roadmap to DSpace 7 and an overview of DSpace-CRIS, we left the floor to several institutions that presented their DSpace-CRIS projects in collaboration with 4Science:

During the conference there were more contributions by our Clients, including the Technical University of Hamburg with the self-explaining title “From PURE to DSpace-CRIS”. On Friday we held a tutorial and on the last day we finished with a presentation on how to make research information FAIR with DSpace-CRIS.

The post 4Science Updates from the Open Repositories and EuroCRIS Conferences appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Call for Fedora Leadership Group Nominations

ორშ, 25/06/2018 - 16:34

Fedora Community we need you!

The Fedora project is seeking two individuals from the community to be an active participant in the future of the Fedora project by serving as a member of the Fedora Leadership Group.  

We invite anyone in the Fedora community, DuraSpace members (whose institution doesn’t already have a Leadership Group seat) or non-members of DuraSpace, to nominate an individual who you believe would be a good representative of the community (self-nominations are welcome).

Members of the Leadership Group play a key role in setting the strategic direction and priorities of the project through the approval of the annual budget allocation and project roadmap and establishing the annual community direction.  Ideal candidates should be familiar with Fedora and have an interest in being engaged with key project decisions and the broader user community. It is also helpful if the candidate has fiscal or staffing responsibility within their organization and able to bring the commitment, creativity, and dedication that the role calls for.

Learn more about the Fedora Leadership Group here.

Please submit your nomination using this form by Friday, June 29, 2018.  Self-nominations are welcome.  

Next Steps

At the end of the nomination process anyone nominated will be asked to submit a brief personal statement expressing why they would be a suitable candidate for the Leadership Group.  An election will follow at which time the Fedora community will be asked to vote for two candidates.

If you have any questions about the Fedora project governance or the nomination and election process please contact Kristi Searle.

The post Call for Fedora Leadership Group Nominations appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Call for DSpace Leadership Group Nominations

ორშ, 25/06/2018 - 16:18

The DSpace project is seeking two individuals from the community to be an active participant in the future of DSpace by serving as a member of the DSpace Leadership Group.  

We invite anyone in the DSpace community, DuraSpace members (whose institution doesn’t already have a Leadership Group seat) or non-members of DuraSpace, to nominate an individual who you believe would be a good representative of the community (self-nominations are welcome).

Members of the Leadership Group play a key role in setting the strategic direction and priorities of the project through the approval of the annual budget allocation and project roadmap and establishing the annual community direction.  Ideal candidates should be familiar with DSpace and have an interest in being engaged with key project decisions and the broader user community. It is also helpful if the candidate has fiscal or staffing responsibility within their organization and able to bring the commitment, creativity, and dedication that the role calls for.

Learn more about the DSpace Leadership Group here.

Please submit your nomination using this form by Friday, June 29, 2018.  Self-nominations are welcome.

Next Steps

At the end of the nomination process anyone nominated will be asked to submit a brief personal statement expressing why they would be a suitable candidate for the Leadership Group.  An election will follow at which time the Dspace community will be asked to vote for two candidates.

If you have any questions about the DSpace project governance or the nomination and election process please contact Kristi Searle.

The post Call for DSpace Leadership Group Nominations appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Announcing the 3rd German VIVO Workshop 2018,17-18 September, Hanover

ოთხ, 20/06/2018 - 17:23

From Christian Hauschke, Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB), German National Library of Science and Technology, Open Science Lab

We would like to invite you to the 3rd VIVO Workshop 2018 on 17 and 18 September 2018 at the German National Library of Science and Technology (TIB) in Hanover.

The workshop will be offered in German.

The first day will be dedicated to various thematic workshops, in which speakers work together with the participants in depth on or introduce them to different subject areas. The programme of the first day has already been published: https://events.tib.eu/vivoworkshop2018/programm/

On the second day, the activities of the German-speaking VIVO community will be presented in a selection of lectures. Lecture time is about 20 minutes including discussion. In addition to the lectures, a round of Lightning Talks (5 minutes each) is also planned. Whether workshop or project reports, in-house development or presentation of a problem: We look forward to receiving your submission!

Please submit your suggestions with title and short abstract (two to three sentences) by email to christian.hauschke@tib.eu

Deadline for submissions is July 15, 2018.

Further information and registration: https://events.tib.eu/vivoworkshop2018/

Due to the limited number of participants, early registration is recommended.

The post Announcing the 3rd German VIVO Workshop 2018,17-18 September, Hanover appeared first on Duraspace.org.

DSpace User Group at The Repository Fringe Conference, July 2-3

სამ, 19/06/2018 - 22:13

From Bram Luyten, Atmire

The annual Repository Fringe Conference is taking place on the 2nd and 3rd of July in Edinburgh.

The organizers of the repository fringe are kindly making the Kelvin Room at RSE Edinburgh available from 2.00 to 3.30pm on Tuesday July 3rd for a DSpace User Group meeting.

If you are interested in joining this event, please join the ongoing communication about the program on the DSpace UK mailing list.

When available, more information will also be added to:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/2018-07-03+Repository+Fringe+DSpace+User+Group+Meeting

The post DSpace User Group at The Repository Fringe Conference, July 2-3 appeared first on Duraspace.org.

2018-19 DSpace Leadership Group & Community Nominations

სამ, 19/06/2018 - 19:08

DSpace is excited to announce the Leadership Group for the 2018 membership year.

Allen Bell University of British Columbia Library John Butler University of Minnesota Scott Hanrath University of Kansas Barbara Hirschmann ETH Zurich Jyrki Ilva National Library of Finland Salwa Ismail Georgetown University Inba Kehoe University of Victoria Pierre Lasou Université Laval Agustina Martinez Garcia University of Cambridge Joao Mendes Moreira Foundation of Science and Technology Portugal Kristi Palmer Indiana University Purdue University Indiana Kristi Park Texas Digital Library Maureen Walsh The Ohio State University Libraries Andrew Weaver Washington State University Libraries Heather Yager Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Members of the Leadership Group play a key role in setting the strategic direction and priorities of the project through the approval of the annual budget allocation and project roadmap and establishing the annual community direction.  Under the governance of DSpace, Leadership Group members represent Platinum member institutions or are representatives of Gold, Silver, or Bronze member institutions that have been nominated and/or elected by DuraSpace Members in support of DSpace.  The DSpace community benefits greatly from the engagement of it’s Leadership Group and is excited to welcome these members.

Additionally, the DSpace project is seeking two individuals from the community to be an active participant in the future of DSpace by serving as a member of the DSpace Leadership Group.  

Beginning today, we invite anyone in the DSpace community, DuraSpace members (whose institution doesn’t already have a Leadership Group seat) or non-members of DuraSpace, to nominate an individual who you believe would be a good representative of the community (self-nominations are welcome).

Ideal candidates should be familiar with DSpace and have an interest in being engaged with key project decisions and the broader user community. It is also helpful if the candidate has fiscal or staffing responsibility within their organization and able to bring the commitment, creativity, and dedication that the role calls for.

Learn more about the DSpace Leadership Group here.

Please submit your nomination using this form by Friday, June 29, 2018.  Self-nominations are welcome.

Next Steps

At the end of the nomination process anyone nominated will be asked to submit a brief personal statement expressing why they would be a suitable candidate for the Leadership Group.  An election will follow at which time the DSpace community will be asked to vote for two candidates.

If you have any questions about the DSpace project governance or the nomination and election process please contact Kristi Searle.

The post 2018-19 DSpace Leadership Group & Community Nominations appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Statement from DSpace Steering Group on the DSpace 7 Data Model

ორშ, 18/06/2018 - 18:57

The DSpace Steering Group strongly recommends that the DSpace 7 data model should be expanded to support new object types (entities) to provide the following immediate benefits: alignment with the COAR Next Generation Repositories recommendations (especially around identifiers, e.g. ORCID), compliance with OpenAIRE v4 guidelines, and ensuring that DSpace stays current and competitive with other repository solutions in the landscape while being interoperable with existing research information systems.

In order to achieve this, the Steering Group recommends adopting a flexible, configurable data model which allows existing DSpace institutions to choose whether to enable new (out-of-the-box) entities in their system. The solution should initially concentrate on entities required to meet OpenAIRE v4 guidelines, while also allowing institutions to create/design additional entities to meet other use cases. The solution should be built incrementally (over several releases), so as to not adversely affect the DSpace upgrade process. The end result should be a system that supports configurable entities in its data model, as this will allow for DSpace to be adapted/extended for additional use cases. However, in order to stay true to the goals described in the DSpace 2015-18 Strategic Plan, DSpace should avoid becoming too specific to a single repository use case. Instead, a goal of configurable entities should be to allow third-party extensions or add-ons to extend the DSpace data model for specific use cases. One example may be DSpace-CRIS, a widely adopted DSpace extension to support CRIS use cases. Configurable entities should allow for such extensions to be more easily installed/maintained in out-of-the-box DSpace.

For the reasons stated above, the Steering Group recommends the new data model be based on the Option #3 proposal (see DSpace Entities Overview / Discussion document), where Entities are proposed as an extension of the Item model. The creation of this new model should be coordinated by DuraSpace / DSpace Steering, and be developed in collaboration with the global DSpace community. By doing so, the configurable entities will be a transparent and inclusively developed model ensuring that DSpace is able to face the new challenges and address the needs and requirements of its global community.

We welcome the DSpace community’s involvement and support going forward, and it will be incorporated as opportunities arise.

The post Statement from DSpace Steering Group on the DSpace 7 Data Model appeared first on Duraspace.org.

VIVO Updates for June 17 — Nominations for Leadership Group, EuroCRIS, Membership Drive

ორშ, 18/06/2018 - 18:20

From Mike Conlon, VIVO Project Director

Nominations for Leadership Group open Each year, VIVO elects three community members to serve on the VIVO Leadership Group. Any person at a VIVO member institution can nominate up to three people to serve. To make a nomination, you must be at a VIVO member institution. Not at a member institution? That’s easy to fix, become a member. To become a member, see Become a Member Now that you are at member institution, send the names of the people you would like to nominate to Kristi Searle at Duraspace. You can nominate anyone you like, including people who have served as community members previously. Kristi will check with each person nominated to make sure they are willing to serve. If they are, they will be asked to provide a short bio to use in the election. Nominations are due June 25, 2018. We look forward to hearing from you!

EuroCRIS I had the pleasure of attending the 2018 EuroCRIS meeting in Umeå Sweden this past week. EuroCRIS meets every other year, and gathers people interested in “CRIS” systems — current research information systems — these are systems that record the research outputs of a research organization. Some people refer to VIVO as a CRIS system. CRIS systems focus on research outputs, not people, and often are directly associated with repositories where the research outputs are stored. In Europe, due to open access and other compliance and reporting requirements, it is increasingly common for a university to *require* that all research outputs be stored in the university’s repository. A very popular choice for such work is DSpace, another Duraspace project. DSpace-CRIS is a modification of DSpace that supports the production of simple profiles of researchers with content in the repository. Much of the conference health with issues of CRIS systems, DSpace-CRIS, and the compliance requirements.

I had the chance to meet and discuss these ides with colleagues from the VIVO community, DSpace community, and Duraspace including Michele Mennielli (Duraspace), David Baker (CASRAI), Brian Lowe (Ontocale), Tatiana Walter (TIB Hannover), Anna Guillaumet (SIGMA, and VIVO Leadership Group), Jordi Cuni (SIGMA), Andrea Bollini (4Science), Caroline Birkle (Managing Director Converis), Ed Simons (President, EuroCRIS), Anna Clements (University of Glasgow), Susana Moriati (4Science), Pablo de Castro (EuroCRIS board), Jan Dvorack (Infoscience, Czech Republic), and Miguel-Angel Sicilia (University of Alcalá, Spain) .

Tatiana Walter gave an excellent talk on the effort to map KDSF in Germany to VIVO. Basic concepts of mapping were covered as well as difficulties that were resolved in the mapping of KDSF. Her talk will be available on the conference web site.

EuroCRIS has a CRIS system output format, CERIF-XML. Many CRIS systems are able to produce CERIF-XML. A mapping of CERIF-XML to VIVO was completed several years ago. It needs to be updated. With a new mapping, an XSLT could be constructed to export VIVO RDF triples from CERIF-compatible CRIS systems. We hope to hear more about the updated mapping and XSLT transform work in the months to come.

The meeting was an excellent chance to discuss CRIS concepts with European colleagues, and to keep up to date on CRIS thinking and activities in Europe.

Membership Drive Interested in helping VIVO grow its membership? Please contact Julia Trimmer VIVO is looking for a person to join the membership drive.

Go VIVO!

The post VIVO Updates for June 17 — Nominations for Leadership Group, EuroCRIS, Membership Drive appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Registration Open: Fedora and Samvera Camp in Berlin

ხუთ, 14/06/2018 - 19:42

DuraSpace and Data Curation Experts invite you to attend Fedora and Samvera Camp at the Berlin State Library November 5 – 8, 2018.

Fedora is the robust, modular, open source repository platform for the management and dissemination of digital content. The latest version of Fedora features vast improvements in scalability, linked data capabilities, research data support, modularity, ease of use and more.

Samvera (previously known as Hydra) is a grass-roots, open source community creating best in class digital asset management solutions for Libraries, Archives, Museums and others.  The Samvera software offers flexible and rich user interfaces tailored to distinct content types on top of a robust back end – giving adopters the best of both worlds.

Training will begin with the basics and build toward more advanced concepts – no prior Fedora or Samvera experience is required. Participants can expect to come away with a deep dive Fedora and Samvera learning experience coupled with multiple opportunities for applying hands-on techniques working with experienced trainers from both communities.

Previous Fedora Camps and Samvera Camps (previously known as Hydra Camps) have been held throughout the United States, United Kingdom and in the Republic of Ireland.  Most recently, DCE hosted the inaugural Advanced Samvera (Hydra) Camp focusing on advanced Samvera developer skills.  

The upcoming combined camp curriculum will provide a comprehensive overview of Fedora and Samvera by exploring such topics as:

  • Core & Integrated features
  • Data modeling and linked data
  • Content and Metadata management
  • Migrating to Fedora 4.x
  • Deploying Fedora and Samvera in production
  • Ruby, Rails, and collaborative development using Github
  • Introductory Blacklight including search and faceting
  • Preservation Services

The curriculum will be delivered by a knowledgeable team of instructors from the Fedora and Samvera communities: Mark Bussey (DCE), Bess Sadler (DCE), Andrew Woods (DuraSpace), and David Wilcox (DuraSpace)

Attendance is limited to the first 30 registrants.  DuraSpace Members and Registered Service Providers receive a discounted rate.  Register before September 14th to receive a $50 discount!

Register Now!

The post Registration Open: Fedora and Samvera Camp in Berlin appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Participate: ORCID in Repositories Task Force

ხუთ, 14/06/2018 - 17:12

Background and group scope
Over the past several years, new ORCID features and increased community uptake have introduced opportunities for ORCID to serve as open infrastructure for automating aspects of repository workflow.

While some repositories have developed sophisticated infrastructure that leverages ORCID to automate workflow, support for ORCID is available out of the box in only a few open source and vendor supplied systems. This means that many institutions that don’t have the resources to customize a system or develop an entirely home-grown solution are unable to make full use of ORCID in their repositories.

To improve workflow automation, author disambiguation, and visibility of repository content using the community-driven infrastructure that ORCID provides, we need better ORCID integration in more repository systems. The ORCID in Repositories Task Force will provide input on repository community needs regarding ORCID and on a set of recommendations for supporting ORCID in repository platforms that will help guide repository system developers.

Charge and Deliverables
This group is charged with reviewing and providing feedback on the proposed recommendations for supporting ORCID in repository systems, including considering:

At what points in repository workflows are ORCID iDs most useful/relevant?
What are the current challenges in using ORCID in repositories?
What ORCID features would be most helpful to include in a repository platform?
The group will develop a set of recommendations to guide repository system developers in designing and building ORCID features. These will be released for public comment before being finalized.

This group will also review and feedback on survey questions that will be used to assess community interest in features proposed in the above recommendations.

Formation & membership
Membership of this group is voluntary, and we invite participation by individuals who have an interest in the topic — including repository providers, repository managers, librarians, IT staff, and research administration staff. The group will be chaired by Michele Mennielli, International Membership and Partnership Manager at DuraSpace. Michele will be supported by Liz Krznarich, ORCID Frontend Tech Lead. ORCID will recognize group members on its website.

Governance
To encourage a “safe space” for frank conversations, discussions during meetings and online conversation will be kept confidential; meetings and other communications including document comments will be considered closed. As with other ORCID task forces, activity, status and outcomes of the group will be shared with the ORCID Board. The group will also share its draft recommendations publicly, for comment by the community, before they are finalized.

Expected effort
We expect the group to attend three one-hour web meetings over the course of three to four months, starting in July 2018, and to dedicate about four hours to reviewing documents outside of the meetings. ORCID staff will generate draft documents, provide logistical support, and take meeting notes.

Meeting 1: Introduce members and review group charge. Discuss survey questions (draft circulated in advance), problems being addressed, and review proposed recommendations.
Homework: Comment on the proposed recommendation.
Meeting 2: Discuss comments on the proposed recommendations and merge comments into a draft recommendation for public comment.
Homework: Comment on draft recommendation.
Meeting 3: Review public comments and finalize recommendations.

Contact
For additional information about the working group, please contact us.

The post Participate: ORCID in Repositories Task Force appeared first on Duraspace.org.

DSpace 7 Updates from OR2018, Including a Recorded DSpace 7 Demo

ოთხ, 13/06/2018 - 23:56

From Tim Donohue, Technical Lead for DSpace and DSpaceDirect

In case you were not able to join us last week at the Open Repositories Conference (http://or2018.net) in Bozeman, Montana, or just want to review conference materials, we’ve collected information from all the major DSpace presentations and workshops below. (Please note, there were many other presentations and posters that involved DSpace. Below we’ve just noted the major community announcements / demo / tutorials that came out of the conference.)

DSpace 7 Updates, Demo and RoadMap

On Thursday, June 7, I gave an update on the DSpace 7 efforts and provided an early demo of the latest DSpace 7 user interface. While this presentation was not recorded, I’ve recorded a “live” demo of the DSpace 7 UI and made it available on YouTube (see below)

  • DSpace 7 Update Slides: https://tinyurl.com/or2018-dspace7 (Includes updates, What is coming in DSpace 7, estimated roadmap, and screenshots of the live demo)
  • DSpace 7 Recorded Demo: https://youtu.be/yKnos2jTdSQ (Includes a preview of REST API, Browse, Search, and a detailed demo of the enhanced Submission & Workflow functionality.)

As announced at OR2018, we are working towards a “beta” release of DSpace 7 by the end of this year, with a first “release candidate” in early 2019, and a final, production release shortly thereafter. We also have a DSpace 7 Community Sprint (new developers are welcome) coming up from July 9-20. Sprint signups are open at https://tinyurl.com/dspace7sprints

DSpace Overview during the Repository Rodeo Panel

On Thursday, June 7, Maureen Walsh (The Ohio State University and chair of the DSpace Community Advisory Team) represented DSpace on the “Repository Rodeo Panel”. This is an annual panel at Open Repositories where all repository platforms provide a brief overview of their platforms, latest accomplishments, what is coming next, and how to get involved. This session was streamed live and recorded.

DSpace 7 Technical Workshops

On Monday, June 4, we hosted two DSpace 7 technical workshops to allow developers and other tech-savvy individuals to learn a bit more about both the DSpace 7 REST API and the DSpace 7 Angular User Interface. These resources are a great way to get more familiar with the new technologies in DSpace 7, and also great learning resources if you are a developer interested in taking part in a future DSpace 7 Sprint.

We hope you all are as excited about DSpace 7 as we are! As several individuals noted at OR2018, DSpace 7 is shaping up to be one of the most exciting releases we’ve had in years!

As always, we welcome your feedback or involvement! We’d also encourage your developers to join us on a future DSpace 7 Sprint (https://tinyurl.com/dspace7sprints). The more help we get, the quicker DSpace 7 will get released! If you have questions, feel free to get in touch via email or on our DSpace Slack.

The post DSpace 7 Updates from OR2018, Including a Recorded DSpace 7 Demo appeared first on Duraspace.org.

Recording Available: “Supporting a VIVO Regional Community” Webinar

ოთხ, 13/06/2018 - 21:00

On June 12th, Christian Hauschke, VIVO Coordinator at the German National Library of Science and Technology (TIB), presented a DuraSpace Community Webinar.  In the webinar, “Supporting a VIVO Regional Community” Christian shared his experiences in making VIVO compliant to the needs of the German VIVO community. He highlighted the motives, goals, tools, and means of communication involved because when VIVO is implemented in a research institution, there is a need to adjust the software to local needs. If a system has its roots in a different country, the adjustments can be more comprehensive. The VIVO ontology and a lot of the underlying assumptions, which are based on the realities of the US scholarly landscape, must be “tailored” to be able to depict the academic culture. The differences concern both the meaning of the translated terms and the usage of the terms in the common language use.  This webinar will be a valuable resource for other regions establishing their own VIVO community.

The presentation slides and webinar recording are available at https://duraspace.org/webinar/.

The post Recording Available: “Supporting a VIVO Regional Community” Webinar appeared first on Duraspace.org.